Photography | Video | Imaging
Among the top programs in the United States, Photography, Video and Imaging (PVI) is committed to the practice and understanding of how these disciplines transmit meaning within contemporary culture. We strive to provide students with strong mentoring in the pursuit of their expressive inquiry, maturity of vision, and professional development as artists.
Recognizing both the portability of images and the various modes through which they are created, Photography, Video and Imaging maintains a broad and responsive curriculum, encouraging students to question and expand the boundaries of their practice. We offer courses that encompass digital photography, video, studio work, traditional and non-silver darkroom techniques, hybrid digital/analog methods, performance, installation, interactivity, and emergent image-forming technologies. An array of thematic and experiential courses ground technical work within contemporary art discourse and the relevant issues of our present.
The Center for Creative Photography plays an important role in the education of PVI and Art History students by offering access to all of the Center’s resources, including semester-long internships and lectures by distinguished photographers, historians, and critics. PVI and Art History students studying the history of photography take advantage of photographic exhibitions, lectures, print viewings, gallery talks, an extensive photographic library, an artists’ book collection, and a world-class archive of photographs and related material.
This is an abbreviated list view. Please view the Resources & Facilities photography page for more information.
DARKROOMS AND STUDIOS
- Beginning Black + White Darkroom
- Advanced Black + White and Non-Silver Process Darkroom
- 5 Private Black + White Darkrooms
- Graduate Darkroom
- Lighting Studio
- Video Editing Suites
- Graduate Studios
SPECIALIZED DIGITAL PRINTING STATION
The Photography, Video and Imaging Program offers its students a variety of high end printing equipment including
- Eizo Monitors
- Epson 4900
- Epson 7890 set up for Black and White Prints / Digital Negative Production
Digital Print Studio
Numerous printing, scanning, and finishing/framing services are available at the Digital Print Studio including
- (2) Epson SureColor P9000 – 44″ wide printer
- (2) Epson SureColor P5000 – 17″ printer
- Epson Scanners 12000xl – Film / Slides / Prints
- Epson Scanners 10000xl – Film / Slides / Prints
- Epson Scanner V750 Pro – Film / Slides / Prints
- Imacon 646 (virtual drum scanner) – Film
- Howtek Hi-Resolve 8000 Drum Scanner – Film
Equipment available for checkout includes:
- Full Frame DSLRS
- APSC DSLRS
- Mirrorless Cameras
- Prime Lenses
- Professional Video Camcorders
- High End Audio Recorders
- Shotgun and Omnidirectional Microphones
- 35mm SLRs
- 120mm SLRs and Twin Lens Film Cameras (6×6,6×7& 6×9)
- 4×5 Film Monorail & Field Cameras
- Green screens
- 3-way Pan Tilt and Fluid Drag Head Tripods
- Hot Light Kits
- Studio Strobes
- Professional grade light meters
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Studio Art, Photography, Video and Imaging Emphasis
- Master of Fine Arts in Studio Art, Photography, Video and Imaging Emphasis
Contact an academic advisor or set up an advising appointment to learn more about School of Art programs and admissions.
Ready to join our community of dedicated artists, educators and scholars? Visit our Admissions page to start your application.